Crazy Yummy Date Cake

No comments


This one's for my friend Anjali.
If I had to write a story about this cake, I'd stay it started with a box of dates Mum had on the kitchen table. I could have made a Date & Walnut cake which Mama (my aunt) is renowned for. But then, why try to better the best eh? So I googled for date cakes and came across this really crazy sounding recipe on 'The Wednesday Chef' (Someday I'll figure out how to change the links back to blue, but for now please click on texts which look black and not grey.. yeah weird).

Luisa who runs the blog calls it Geraldine's Date Cake. Well, I call it Crazy Yummy Date Cake cos
a) I don't know Geraldine  b) it has really crazy, seemingly mismatched ingredients and c) its really, really seriously yummy. It has to be, or my mother wouldn't ask me to bake it again the same week. Also, we had a sugar monster here last week who polished off the entire cake in a day.

The cake doesn't end up tasting of dates exactly. Neither does it taste entirely of chocolate, nor coffee. It has this weird mixed taste which is absolutely gorgeous and then there are those chocolate chips. Heaven!!




I fiddled around with the recipe and altered it slightly from the original. Please check the link above for original recipe.

Ingredients

200g/1cup packed             Dates (pitted &halved)
11/4cup                             Hot Water
11/2tsp                              Instant Coffee
150g                                  Butter (I used Amul and skipped the salt later)
1/2cup                               Sugar
2                                        Eggs
1cup                                  All Purpose Flour
1/2cup                               Cocoa Powder
1tsp                                   Baking Soda
1/2cup                               Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips

  1. Preheat oven to 175C/350F. Grease and line a 10inch baking tin.
  2. Mix instant coffee and hot water. Soak dates in coffee
  3. Cream butter and sugar till fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time.
  4. Dry whisk flour, cocoa & baking soda and gently add to butter-egg mixture. Fold in.
  5. Puree the dates and coffee and fold into the batter.
  6. Pour into prepared tin. Sprinkle chocolate chips evenly on top.
  7. Bake for 35 mins. Cool in pan for 10 mins and then turn over gently to a cake plate/rack to cook further.

The batter was soooo good, I almost didn't want to bake the cake. I took pity on the people who this cake was meant for and put it in the oven. I never got a chance to take a proper picture of a slice of cake though. First time, it got over before I could even say photo. Second time was for a family friend. I got a 'No Cutting' warning from my mum.

No comments :

Post a Comment