Lime Syrup Cake

No comments

When my closest friends moved countries, I was the recipient of a lot of goodwill, a lot of love, a lot of memories and a lot of stuff from their pantry. Upali passed on these limes and I very happily accepted them as Kaffir Limes despite them not having the ridgy exterior that kaffir limes have. I kept calling them kaffir limes till after a point even I  realized the distinctive kaffir lime aroma was missing. Something, my brother kept mentioning over and over again... 'But it doesn't have thaaaattt... like you know the last time you made it...'

Update from Upali: These limes are called Gondho Lebu in Bengali and they travelled all the way from Calcutta to my cake. Thanks so much Upli!


So it's not kaffir lime, but it's still a lovely cake. And this is a cake for all occasions I keep tweaking and twirling every time I have a new citrus fruit around. You can turn it any which way and will taste good.

Its supposed to be made in a round pan, I made a loaf, just because I felt like a loaf. A round pan will give the cake more room to grow and hence no cracks on top. In this case, beauty is beyond skin deep.

Come summer, my sister in law and I make this cake over and over again cos its just so zesty and fresh.



Ingredients

Butter for greasing
11/2 cups flour
2 tbsp. baking powder
1 cup superfine sugar
4 eggs
2/3rd cup cream
2/3rd cup refined/sunflower oil
zest of one lime
4 tbsp. lime juice

Syrup
4 tbsp. lime juice
1/2 cup water
8 tbsp. sugar

Preheat oven to 180C
Dry whisk flour and baking powder and keep aside
In a large bowl, whisk oil, sugar, cream, eggs, zest and juice of lime till well mixed.
Add dry ingredients to wet till just mixed.
Pour into greased pan and baked for 45-50 mins. Stick a toothpick to check if the cake is done.

Meanwhile warm lime juice and sugar to form syrup. Brush cake with syrup; as much syrup as the cake can take.

It's dessert, it's breakfast, it's an anytime eat.

No comments :

Post a Comment